Popular Posts

Monday, January 19, 2009

When I grow up....

I have been at a career impasse for some time...probably since birth. I changed majors thirteen times in college, finally choosing my major based on what I could finish in four years--not the preferred way to do it, I might add. I went on to grad school and paid $20,000 to become an audiologist. I knew halfway through grad school that I would not end my career in audiology (I have this pesky problem that earwax makes me gag). After five years in audiology, I moved on to pharmaceutical sales. I loved it for the first couple years, but then it became tedious and a little boring. The other problem was that, by then, I had a baby. He was at day care by 7:15 and didn't leave until 6 in the evening. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that is not how I want my child raised. I wanted to see him more than 2 hours each day--I felt he needed more than that. So, I quit. I got a part-time sales job that just sucked and, shortly after finding out we were expecting Finley, I quit.

The original plan was to open a home-based business selling hospitality gifts for wedding and convention guests. I got a little distracted when Finley was born and it's never happened. I got into Arbonne with the intention of making the money to fund the gift business. I still really love the products, but, now that I've lost momentum, I'm having a really hard time getting back into it--despite the fact that they've changed the compensation plan (my largest complaint about Arbonne: it used to cost $29 to become a consultant. If any of my customers ordered more than $100 worth of stuff, it made more sense for them to become a consultant than to keep buying from me...so my profit goes from 35% to 2%. Ooh. How enticing.). Now I'm looking at going into nursing, as well as opening a travel agency franchise.

Ugh! I read this and it drives me nuts! Why can't I be truly passionate about SOMETHING?! ANYTHING!! With all of these failed professions, it just makes me wish I was truly good and passionate at something enough to want to see it through. Am I lazy? ADD? Are my standards too high that I expect to not dread going to work? Or am I spoiled in my position that I don't HAVE to work? I want a profession that I can put my husband and children first and be available to be home with my kids if they're sick, be room mom and be a chaperone of field trips. That's not exactly conducive to Corporate America. It limits me to home business or working nights. The thought of failing at something else is depressing to me. I've put a lot of our money into home businesses and they haven't panned out. I don't want to waste any more of our money doing this, but I don't want to be a Stay At Home Mom either.

So, I guess what it boils down to is that I am perfectly suited to be a trust-fund baby and little else. Since it's too late to become a trust-fund baby, I guess I'd better figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment